Labor Day weekend is officially here! The start of what I affectionately call “The Ber Months” is always one of my favorite holidays. I love looking ahead to cooler weather, changing leaves and all of that good stuff.
Fall is also a busy time in the world of higher education. Having started with TVP Communications two months ago, I am looking forward to it.
Before we jump into September, however, let’s look back at what happened during the last week in August.
What’s new this week:
- Kevin Kruger, president of NASPA: Student Affairs Administrators in Higher Education, and David Maxwell, president of Drake University, had an opinion piece featured on the Hechinger Report about the role of the university in fostering informed participation in the democratic process.
- Craig Owens, associate professor of English at Drake University, had a great column in the Des Moines Register about college move-in day and the value of a residential college experience.
What we’ve been talking about:
- TVP Communications’ Teresa Valerio Parrot and Erin Hennessy co-moderated a lively #CASESMC social media chat, “Integrating Social Media Into Crisis Planning,” on Tuesday. Check out CASE’s recap if you missed it, and be sure to read Erin’s follow-up post on the major themes from the discussion.
- Kyle Gunnels discussed his passion for internationalization in higher education and linked to some fantastic resources on the subject.
- The start of a new academic year made Teresa Valerio Parrot feel a little nostalgic, so she celebrated Throwback Thursday (#TBT) by posting some college pics of the TVP Communications team with thanks to all of our alma maters. The resulting conversation was interesting, to say the least.
- Thursday’s fun spilled over into Friday, when the TVP Communications team celebrated the annual College Colors Day. Naturally, this led to discussion of Saturday’s West Virginia-Alabama football game. Make sure to post your score prediction in the comments section for the chance to win a $25 Starbucks gift card!
You may also be interested in:
- Does the New York Times give more coverage to highly-ranked private institutions? This Binghamton University student believes it does.
Follow us on Twitter!
Are you following the TVP Communications team on Twitter? Here’s a look at what we were talking about this week:
— Ali Lincoln (@AliLincolnTVP) August 28, 2014
Interesting and kinda sad article on classrooms w/o cellphones. Glad I went to college before smartphone revolution. http://t.co/uqlL3vKxA7
— Brian W. (@bcwachur) August 27, 2014
— Kristine Maloney (@kristinemaloney) August 25, 2014
For all of the latest news and media successes from TVP Communications, be sure to follow us on Twitter.